Saturday, April 25, 2015

Getty Villa

Myself and my Friend Sydney in the Getty Villa Garden
During week two when I studied the relationship between math and art, I noticed the ancient Greeks and Romans used many special mathematical tools in their art and architecture such as the golden ratio and the ideal proportions of human beings. The Parthenon is a breathtaking example along with nearly every marble statue of a god, muse, or human being (Vesna). I chose to attend the Getty Villa as my first event having been inspired by the art and architecture of the ancient Greeks.
Mosaic Fountain


When I arrived, I was struck by the breathtaking architecture and beautiful view over the ocean. Soon after I arrived I realized the ancient Greek exhibits did not have much in the way of science or technology incorporated. The statues were aesthetically pleasing, but then I discovered something more fascinating, ancient glass blowing. The exhibit immediately caught my eye because of its colors and although it was small, there was much to learn.

The ancient glass at the Getty Villa was from the collection of Erwin Oppenländer. The many different styles that appeared came from
“the variety of ancient glassmaking techniques, such as casting, core forming, mosaic, inflation, mold blowing, cameo carving, incising, and cutting” (Molten Color). Every single one of these techniques, although modernized, is still used today.

Intricate Bowl Design
In some further research about glass blowing I found out the main ingredient of glass is silicon dioxide, more commonly called sand. Adding common medal oxides causes this glass to be more easily blown and have brilliant colors (Toothman). Learning this made it seem more realistic than ancient peoples could create such beautiful intricate pieces of art. Although there were many different ancient glassblowing techniques, “many of the earliest glass objects were made by pouring hot glass into a mold that gave a piece its shape... The most common kinds of cast vessels are bowls but pendants, inlays, and other small objects were also created in this manner”(Molten Color).

A Variety of the Different Glass from Antiquity


My trip to the Getty Villa was a wonderful way to spend my afternoon, but I would not recommend it to another student in this class going for an assignment. I found it difficult to relate ancient art to technology and science. That being said, it was a beautiful location and a wonderful museum to visit.







Molten Color: Glassmaking in Antiquity. Erwin Oppenländer Collection. California, Los Angeles. 12 Apr. 2015. Exhibit.

Toothman, Jessika. "How Glassblowing Works." HowStuffWorks. Infospace LLC, 05 Sept. 2006. Web. 20 Apr. 2015. <http://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/arts/artwork/glassblowing.htm>.


Vesna, Victoria. Math IntroYouTube. Uconlineprogram, 10 April 2015. Web. <http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHiL9iskUWM&feature=player_embedded>.


No comments:

Post a Comment