Sunday, April 5, 2015

Two Cultures

Stylish Socks and Sandals
I have always found myself drawn to mixing things that don’t usually go together. Milk and orange juice create a delightful creamsicle-like drink, socks and sandals are the perfect attire for a California winter, and double majoring with philosophy and physiological sciences makes me incredibly happy.

My decision to double major in two very different subjects was motivated by my equal and non-conflicting passions for the human body and the depths of the human mind. C. P. Snow, in his endeavor to highlight the increasing separation between artists and scientists, comments on the need for a third culture; a culture in which people explore art in the context of science and science in the context of art; a culture that is emerging.

Andrew Krasnow's Hollow Muscle is a heart made from human skin
C. P. Snow wrote on this issue in 1959 and today, in 2015 I believe we have made progress toward the flexible and creative mindset of the third culture. Stephen Wilson notices that “artists have been eager to adopt the fruits of technological research and others have been much influenced by the concepts and contexts of science”. Scientists are now exploring current philosophy and artists are delving into new scientific mediums of expression.

More overlap of the two fields of art and science will not only make it easier for artists and scientists to communicate, but I believe that the emergence of a more well rounded professional will transform the quality and efficiency of their work. I truly believe I will become a better doctor if I can question and think critically like a philosopher.

Pensive Doctor
Although many people are quite confused when they discover my seemingly conflicting majors, I am sure that it will not always be this way. Our education system is moving in a direction that encourages a broad base of knowledge and not one simple specialization. I hope that one day soon more people will be able to see the enormous benefit of studying philosophy and medicine in conjunction, rather than superficially focusing on their differences.

Keros, Sotirios. "Cognitive Biases in Medicine: The Power of the Default Option Aka “Status Quo Bias”." Musings on Medicine and Money. Sotirioskeros, 26 Mar. 2014. Web. 02 Apr. 2015.

Robinson, Ken. "Changing Education Paradigms." YouTube. RSA Animate, 14 Oct. 2010. Web. 02 Apr. 2015.

Snow, C. P. “Two Cultures and the Scientific Revolution.” Reading. 1959. New York: Cambridge UP, 1961. Print.

Solon, Olivia. "Science-Steeped Art Explores Physical, Mental Trauma | WIRED." Wired.com. Conde Nast Digital, 7 Dec. 2011. Web. 05 Apr. 2015.

"Tumblr." Birkenstocks with Socks. N.p., n.d. Web. 02 Apr. 2015.

Vesna, Victoria. "Toward a Third Culture: Being In Between." Leonardo. 34 (2001): 121-125. Print.

Wilson, Stephen D. “Myths and Confusions in Thinking about Art/Science/Technology.” College Art Association Meetings. New York, New York, 2000. Print

1 comment:

  1. Hi Blair,

    I really liked the presentation of this blog - it was interesting but also clean, so it was aesthetically pleasing to the reader. I thought centering your blog around your two different majors made a lot of sense given the topic of two cultures, and I enjoyed how you began your blog by mentioning other seemingly odd combinations that actually make for a great result. I too often find a mix of science and art in my life, and believe that the combination of the two should occur more often. I enjoyed your hopeful attitude for the future, and share your sentiment that hopefully one day the arts and sciences will be fully intertwined.

    ReplyDelete